Follow the outline below to ensure that the cost of your annual staff party will not create tax issues for you or your staff.
- The event must be open to all employees at a specific location.
- An annual Christmas party, or other annual event offered to staff, generally is not taxable on those attending, provided that the average cost per head of the functions does not exceed £150 p.a. (including VAT). The guests of staff attending are included in the head count when computing the cost per head attending.
- All costs must be considered, including the costs of transport to and from the event, accommodation provided, and VAT. The total cost of the event is divided by the number attending to find the average cost. If the limit is exceeded then individual members of staff will be taxable on their average cost, plus the cost for any guests they were permitted to bring.
- VAT input tax can be recovered on staff entertaining expenditure. If the guests of staff are also invited to the event, the input tax should be apportioned, as the VAT applicable to non-staff is not recoverable. However, if non-staff attendees pay a reasonable contribution to the event, all the VAT can be reclaimed and of course output tax should be accounted for on the amount of the contribution.
- NIM33430 - Special Cases: international - people going to or coming from abroad - RA: national insurance contributions for employees coming from abroad »
- NIM33425 - special cases: international - people going to or coming from abroad - RA: national insurance contributions for employees going abroad »
- NIM33420 - Special cases: international: people going to or coming from abroad - RA: special cases »
- NIM33415 - special cases: international -going to and coming from abroad: RA: self-employed »
- NIM33410 - Special Cases: international - people going to or coming from abroad - RA: postings from a third country »
- No alternative to vaccine passports, says Dubai airport boss »
- Covid: A tenth of Britain's restaurants lost during pandemic »
- Santander banking services working again after day of technical problems »
- Last Debenhams stores close their doors »
- Debenhams: 'It's only fixtures and fittings, we'll still be friends' »